New Year’s is just around the corner peeps. I’m going to need time to slow down just a little! I feel like it was just 2015 and I was just sitting down to attempt a NY Resolution list. Time sure does fly…even when you have the most abysmal year…looking at you 2016! Good riddance.
“I’m going to be so sad when 2016 is over.” – No One Ever.
Jokes. It wasn’t ALL bad. We laughed, we cried, and some of us just cried some more. But seriously, as we go out with the old I want to take a second to encourage everyone to walk into the new year with fresh perspective, a lens of clarity and some banging new goals for a great new year!
I posted the other day that I accomplished/ will accomplish every single goal I set for myself in 2016. That was borderline a lie, as I didn’t write anything down. Or at least I don’t remember where I put them… Note to self. If I write them on my heart does it count? No?! Just checking. Anyways, I’m going to put them at the end of this spiffy little post when I get through so that the inter webs keep me accountable. Because you can’t take things back from the inter webs , no matter what you looked like in 2006. (cries a little)
So here’s a little recap of my 2016 :
- Read more! — check. Let’s see I read or am still currently reading a plethora of great literature including the rereading of a few faves such as Yes,Please!, To Kill A Mockingbird, Great Expectations…because a great deal of lessons can be told and retold with a mere book.
- Start a podcast. Um yes! I did that in spades. The Behind Bluff City podcast started out as a pipe dream to me because I just don’t really think that people want to listen to me all that much, but turns out they do and I’m eternally thankful for that. Plus, I have an AMAZING cohost that has become one of my very best friends and I’ve met a TON of really cool and AWESOME people along the way. I have a second podcast in the early stages for 2017, and it’s only uphill from here. Love, Love, Love it!
- Move out of the parents. Well, did that. Then I moved right back in after a few months. Turns out, I have deal breakers. Turns out I would like more disposable income for things that make me happy. #sorrynotsorry
- Travel to TWO places I’ve never been! Dude, I had this accomplished by May. I went to NOLA first, yes I had never been there. Then, I went to what is now my favorite city in the states, SEATTLE!! Oh, the stories I have. AND, I’m headed off to Belgium for the New Year. Travel resolutions…complete!
- Get healthy. I had no specific poundage I wanted to lose or outfit I wanted to wear. I had been there before. I wasn’t ever a fat kid, instead I was the average or a couple of pounds heavier than I should be kid. So my goal always was to be less than. So my goal this past year was more or less to become comfortable in my own skin and to accept myself as a work in progress. To love the little things about myself that I normally would complain about. I.E. I have really muscular calves. I would like skinnier calves. But hey, some people have no calves and can’t walk so how about you be grateful. (side note: one of my goals for 2017 is secretly to quit talking to myself so much) But you get the picture. So pounds are lost, inches are gone and confidence is through the roof. I couldn’t have done it alone, I had amazing people by my side and new habits built and formed! So thank you Coach Crain, my amazing accountability group and people who gave me encouragement along the way. I would also like to thank my calves, because while they are muscular, they get me to where I need to be.
- Date more. Yes, this was a resolution of mine. Believe it or not… I don’t date a lot. I don’t like it. People are not themselves and no one ever really says what they mean or shows you who they are. Also, I’m really weird and I use big words and talk to much. That is my process. Anyways, I did the thing. I put myself out there. I met some really great people. That will not be on my list for next year.
- Start a blog. And, here we are. Things have pretty much come full circle. I would like to be more consistent with my writing but I did the thing. The thing is done.
There were so many other things that I have accomplished this year that didn’t even have a spot on my list. I adopted my dog Mr. Fitzgerald Wiggles, I’m going to be an aunt again (Although, that really had nothing to do with anything I did. It’s really just a life fact.), I graduated with my MA, and I’ve met amazing people along the way. Thank you abundantly for coming on this ride with me. I would like to think I am a little wiser, more confident, more compassionate and a lot more understanding than when this year began. I hope you are too.
So, because I know you are sitting on all the pins and needles…here are a few goals I have for 2017.
- Be more productive. My day is crazy. I want to use a planner or a VA or a drone or something to get my life together.
- Be more kind & encouraging. I just want to be intentional about loving people more and complaining less.
- Knock some things off my YOLO list. Some of the things I’m eyeing: visiting castles in Ireland (after stopping by Guinness of course), eating pizza in Italy, go to the balloon festival in Albuquerque , or start preparations for hiking to Everest base camp.
- Start AND Finish a book. Not reading, writing. This is a thing constantly on my YOLO list…it just needs to get done.
- Learn Italian. You know…for that pizza fulfilling excursion. (side note: I know there are a lot of other things to do in Italy, I just couldn’t think of any. My family is from Naples and that is the area I want to explore.)
- Encourage others to get healthy. So in light of succeeding at a lot of my health initiatives this past year, I want to help others. That’s why I became a health coach. I have a little ways to go (Relax , I know I’m not completely there. But, I am a white girl who will almost always have a little junk in the trunk so deal with it.) Workout more and eat healthy 80/20 and encourage people along the way, these are my health goals for 2017.
- Pray more. Enough is never enough. I need to pray more for friends, family, the downtrodden, myself and the world. I just need to find more time for meditation and prayer and Jesus in general. Alongside this is a desire to create community as well. I just haven’t figured out what that looks like yet.
- Do more of what makes me happy. I already started this in 2016 but 2017 is really going to be the year. The year to stop doing a bunch of things that I don’t want to do, and be more intentional about how I spend my time. I think this should totally be on your list too! Self martyrdom is not a spiritual gift. Happy people are contagious and bring more joy into the lives of others.
Yes, Please. What is on your list? Let’s knock out everything, let’s step into the sun and create more kindness, empathy and joy in our lives and spread it around like confetti. Wait, is that too hippie sounding?!? How about this…stop complaining about 2016 and move forward and get shit done!